Programme date: 20 January until 8 February 2019
Application deadline: 18 November 2018, end of day (Swiss time)
Further information is available from:
+41 44 267 71 56
«Tiempo profundo – Deep Time» a residency in arts, science and humanities for a Swiss artist in connection with the South America programme COINCIDENCIA of the Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia.
Casa-Museo Alberto Baeriswyl (CAB), Fundación Suiza en Puerto Yartou and the Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia (in the context of its South America programme COINCIDENCIA) are seeking a visual artist or a visual art researcher to participate in a residency called «Tiempo profundo – Deep Time», which will take place in South Patagonia, Puerto Yartou (Tierra del Fuego, Chile).
The residency aims to bring together representatives of different disciplines and collaborative practices in the field of visual arts. Applicants can have a variety of backgrounds (such as photography, new media practices, painting, performance, art history, etc.). They should have an interest in investigation processes, South America’s southern territory and its history, and should be comfortable interacting with an exploration team including four Chilean artists and three researchers from other disciplines. It is therefore preferable to have a working knowledge of the language. The residency site is in a remote and rural environment, so a good physical condition is of advantage.
The grant for the residency is offered to a Swiss experienced artist (resident in Switzerland for more than three years, with a clear connection to Switzerland and active participation in the Swiss art scene), not younger than 26 years on the date of the deadline (18 November 2018).
THE PRO HELVETIA RESIDENCY INCLUDES:
– Travel expenses: international flights and transportation.
– Accommodation and per diem allowance.
THE PRO HELVETIA RESIDENCY DOES NOT INCLUDE:
– Production budget.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SELECTED ARTIST:
– Obtaining a visa if necessary.
– Upon arrival in Chile, the recipient must have proof of health insurance valid for the entire residency period.
– Accepting and signing an agreement of compliance to the rules and considerations regarding the use of the allocated space and the status of the works produced during the residency, in accordance with Chilean law.
– Participation in all the activities proposed by CAB.
– The artist will work on the project proposed in the application.
– Presentation of the process/results at the end of the residency. CAB will do its best to accommodate the needs of the project, provided this does not go against the integrity of CAB or against Chilean law. CAB will not organise exhibitions nor provide additional production funding.
– Development of a workshop with artists and/or agents at the artist’s place of residence according to CAB’s criteria. This workshop will be jointly organized by the artist and CAB. The costs of this activity must be borne by the artist.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS – Send the following items in a single PDF file:
1. Brief biography – Send a brief professional biography (300 words maximum). 2.Brief presentation of recent works- Describe the ideas behind your work in a way that helps the jurors understand its themes, concerns and intentions (300 words maximum).
3. Five images of recent works – Send a dossier with five images of recent works, each with a brief description. Videos must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo so that the jurors do not need to download them. Please include the appropriate links and passwords to the videos in the dossier.
4. Work proposal -Send a description (500 words maximum) of the project you propose to work on during the period of the residency and that will lead to a final presentation. The format of this presentation will be jointly decided on by the artist and CAB.
THE APPLICANT MUST:
– Submit a resume in English together with a dossier and a letter of interest by 18 November 2018 via email to email@example.com.
– Compile all documentation in a single PDF file of less than 10 MB. Write the following in the subject line and in the name of the file: COINCIDENCIA – Pro Helvetia Residency CAB / Name of applicant.
The selected artist authorizes CAB to use photos of his or her work for educational and documentation purposes.
– The application must be sent in a single email and the documentation compiled in a single PDF. Separate files will not be accepted.
– The file name must contain the name of the artist.
– The file may not be larger than 10 MB. Videos must be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo.